What Are the Best Flooring Materials for Stairs?
You may know what kind of flooring you want on the floors in your house, but have you thought about the stairs? The type of flooring you choose for your stairs in Kansas City will depend on several factors, such as safety, budget,preferred maintenance level, overall style, noise constraints, and traffic levels.
Here are the four best flooring options for your stairs.
1. Hardwood Flooring
As you are already aware, hardwood flooring is the most upscale type of flooring you can choose, and same goes for your staircases. If you have hardwood throughout the rest of your home, it makes sense that you would want to add it to your stairs for continuity and visual appeal.
Its beauty is second to none, and hardwood floors are easy to clean. Plus, they’ll last just as long as the rest of the house does. It’s wise to add non-slip treads on hardwood stairs due to the slippery factor.
Benefits of adding hardwood to your stairs include:
- Wide variety of types to choose from, such as oak, beech, or ash
- Hard-wearing durability
- Able to withstand high foot traffic
- Each type has characteristic markings, which you can stain to match the style throughout the rest of the home
- Choice of patterns and thickness levels
- Easy to maintain; just sweep or vacuum, with occasional polish
2. Vinyl Plank Flooring
Luxury vinyl plank (LVP) is a budget-friendly, versatile material for your stairs, as it can resemble any other material such as metal, stone and tile. In fact, it’s tough to distinguish between genuine hardwood and vinyl.
The many advantages of vinyl plank flooring for stairs include:
- Waterproof, stain-resistant, easy to clean
- Tough and durable flooring material – good for high traffic stairs
- Lasts up to 25 years when well maintained
- Variety of appearances to resemble hardwood, ceramic or stone (yet costs much less)
- Easy to clean with broom or vacuum brush attachment, with seasonal deep cleaning
Carpet, the coziest type of flooring on stairs, is preferred by many homeowners. If you go this route, choose short fibers that tend to be more durable while withstanding heavy foot traffic. Carpet is the most comfortable on feet, a factor to consider with kids and the elderly.
However, it can be slippery and it does get dirty very easily. It also harbors allergens, which can trigger asthma and allergies.
Benefits of carpet on stairs include:
- It’s quiet and you won’t be disturbed by pounding of feet
- More tractionthan hard surfaces
- Feels soft and warm underfoot
- Wide range of colors, patterns, materials and finishes
4. Carpet Runners
Don’t wish to carpet the whole staircase? You can choose to install a carpet runner over hardwood for added beauty and traction.
Benefits of runners include:
- Low noise level due to materialdensity
- Wide variety of patterns, materials, colors, and finishes
- Provides a complementary look when paired with hardwood underneath
Contact Get It Installed
If you need expert advice on which flooring material to use for your stairs in Kansas City, contact us today to get a free quote.